Little Jonah and i had a really rough night last night. He has severe issues with his crib. I really wish he could tell me why he hates it so much - it's a nice crib. And this morning, he played a nice game of "nurse, fall asleep, wake up five minutes later and demand to be nursed again" for a couple of hours before i finally put my foot down! Poor little Jonah went into the crib to scream. He actually only screamed for about fifteen minutes before this happened:
And he stayed that way for about four hours! Even when Riley went down for his nap (he naps in the crib in our room during the day so he and Elijah don't play during quiet time), and i had to move Jonah out to the couch, he STAYED ASLEEP! Yay!! So I actually got to do something today!
This year i actually set up my very own "Christmas Mantle". Okay, so i don't have a "mantle" per se, but the ledge by the stairs is about as close as i can get. We've lived in this house for five years, and i'm wondering why i never did this before. This ledge was previously home to a LOT of pictures and ornaments, as well as a good deal of flyers, bills, broken pieces of toys, and an almost empty box of candy canes (which became empty very quickly... yummm!). I wish i had a before picture to show you, but didn't think of it until just now.
Anyway, here's what it looks like now:
I've always been pretty grumpy about the fact that my ornaments don't match - I like themes. But i actually don't mind them so much this way. That mirror is a spare from an old bedroom set left here by the woman who sold us the house. It's pretty random, but i've noticed that the stairway and landing seem a lot smaller when it's not there.
i saw this idea for hanging Christmas cards while blog stalking some time ago. It's just some macrame (i think that's what it was called?) string and teeny tiny clothes pins bought at the craft store. I wondered if i should try painting the clothes pins, but i actually like them this way. The cards are colorful enough.
I got these 12 x 12 frames from the dollar store - hence the reason they're not quite level with each other, even though the nails are. i just didn't care enough at the time to fix them. I fully intend to put something more in the frames once i've decided what i want to do.
I love homemade crafts. I made the soldiers back when Josh and I were first married, copying my sister Kari's idea (though hers were nicer). they are made from clay flower pots, and the arms are craft foam. The little nativity was a Super Saturday project i made when i was in Lethbridge visiting my mom in october.
these darling little ceramic boxes were made for me by my sister Jackie. She's super talented with ceramics.
this tree, and these bears, were given to us by my mother-in-law when she moved to Idaho and was forced to downsize her Christmas decorations. The tree has a light bulb in it, but sadly there's no outlet on the ledge, so it doesn't get to light up this year.
This nativity was given to me as a Christmas gift, way back when i was in Young Womens, by my leaders. I love nativities. It's my goal to get about ten more to stick all over my house! i'm waiting impatiently for a year when we can afford a Little People one. In Canada I've only ever seen them in the Sears wishbook, and they want $50 for it! And someday, when we're fabulously wealthy, i want to get a Willow Tree nativity.... oh, so beautiful!
Elijah and Riley are SO happy - they are finally old enough to be allowed to play (carefully) with the nativity. They are having a blast making up stories. Although, Riley's version, where Joseph and the animals take turns jumping off the roof of the stable, might be just slightly inaccurate.
Anyway that's it for today! It's almost time to start baking, so stay tuned for recipes for some of my favorite traditional Christmas treats! And feel free to share some with me! I'm always game for more!!
1 comments:
Oh that game is no fun! I make A eat a lot at each nursing so he will sleep well. I really like the decor- it looks great!
Post a Comment