Pages

Friday, December 3, 2010

Christmas Countdown Day 3: Music

Oh, how I love Christmas music!! It makes me feel so warm and fuzzy inside, no matter what time year it is! I've been playing Christmas music since September. I've been blessed with a husband who tolerates such things - he has a mother who is as crazy about Christmas as I am (maybe crazier...), so it's not new to him.

I am always building my collection of holiday tunes - every year we buy a new CD (this year was MoTab singing Handel's "Messiah"). There are a few favorite, traditional songs that i have several different versions of - O Holy Night, God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen, What Child Is This?, We Three Kings, etc. etc. etc. (woah, did anyone else just have a sudden "The King and I" flashback??)

Then there are the classic voices of Christmas, the artists I'd hear every year since i can remember: Gene Autry, Raffi, Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, Elvis (who sings my favorite version of "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day"), and others.

But Christmas just would not be the same without Mannheim Steamroller. I don't know what it is about them that makes me so giddy inside, but when the Christmas season rolls around, i always start with good old  Mannheim.

For your enjoyment, I have posted three videos. The first two feature Christmas lights synchronized to Mannheim Steamroller songs - pretty awesome, especially the one for the Hallelujah Chorus! The third is a slide show of some Christmassy pictures - quite honestly, that first one of Santa kinda creeps me out, but i wanted to share one of our favorite Mannheim songs - a traditional Catalan Christmas carol called "Fum, Fum, Fum". I love the Irish flute they use!
What are your favorite Christmas songs/artists??

Until tomorrow, then! Enjoy!






2 comments:

Christina said...

Music is a HUGE part of Christmas for us as well- The Trans-Siberian Orchestra Christmas Eve is my favourite!

Dionne said...

I LOVE Christmas music. I have a massive amount of Christmas albums loaded onto iTunes. For example:

There are the jazzy albums with people like Diana Krall, the Bublé, Harry Connick Jr, the Celtic stuff that includes Wyndham Hill, Enya, and the Rankin sisters, the oldsters like Bing, Frank and Nat, the classical stuff by Josh Groban, Pavarotti and King's College, Religious stuff by Michael McClean, MoTab, and Amy Grant, newer stuff by Barenaked Ladies, Mariah Carey, Sarah McLachlan, and stuff that makes me nostalgic for my childhood: Boney M and John Denver and the Muppets. And how do I classify "Redneck Christmas?" Like you, I get a new album each year, so I just purchased some Straight, No Chaser (great acapella stuff!)

Just don't ask me to pick a favorite. ;)

Post a Comment