Pages

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Christmas Countdown Day 2: The Advent Calendar

There are at least a thousand different ways to do an advent calendar - I've seem most of them, especially since I've started following dozens of craft and sewing blogs. And my kids sure like these ones:



(Riley really does like it - i don't know why this kid is always looking so grumpy when i photograph him!) This is the first time we've ever bought them - they were a fun treat Josh picked up for the boys as they were grocery shopping in Peace River (when i was in the hospital with Jonah).

But the kind my family had when i was a kid doesn't seem to be as popular (or at least as well-used) as many of the other designs. Sadly, the one we had when i was a kid seems to have gone the way of the dodo, but here is my own design that i made for our own family a few years ago:



I realize it could probably use a little embellishing - whenever i photograph it i think about how plain it is, but can't quite figure out what to do to spruce it up. I thought of sparkly, glittery stars, but am having a heck of a time finding something appropriate. It also used to hang on a dowel with a fancy red, gree, and gold cord, but after the first year the dowel broke and the cord got lost... *sad face*

As a kid, i always enjoyed the surprise of pulling out the ornaments - i mean, we pretty much knew all the ornaments after all the years of using them, but I had my favorites and couldn't wait to see which one i'd get to hang on the tree. I remember one year i actually peeked in all the pockets to see which ornaments were where, and honestly, it's like seeing your presents before Christmas: unwrapping them just isn't as exciting anymore! Even though i'm the one stuffing the calendar now, and i already know which ones are where, i look forward to seeing the kids' enjoyment of this long-kept tradition.

What i like about this calendar is that when i was making it, i found a Nativity theme set of ornaments at Michaels. So among the other ornaments, we have Mary, and Joseph, and shepherds, and wise men, and of course, in the "25th" pocket, where my family always kept Santa, is baby Jesus.



Do you do an advent Calendar? What's yours like?

2 comments:

Christina said...

I really like yours! I don't have one but it's on my list for next year.

Dionne said...

We've got two different advent calendars in our home: the first is the classic, inexpensive open-a-door-and-get-a-chocolate. I had that advent calendar growing up, and my children have had them their whole lives.

The second advent calendar is a felt wallhanging from Story Time Felts: http://www.funfelt.com/advent.html. It actually has two uses. There is a Mary and Joseph that travel down the 24 velcro dots from the hills to Bethlehem, and then you can bring out the felt figures to tell the Christmas story. I sewed a decorative border and hang this one on the wall.

I'm working on a third advent calendar as well. If you go to www.firesidefabrics.co.uk and type in "Nativity Advent Calendar Panel" you can see a picture, although it may not be obvious that the little squares are pockets. I bought two kits from a local quilting shop, and I'm almost finished one as a gift for my sister, and I'm keeping the second and plan to have it ready for next year.

Post a Comment