Pages

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Christmas Countdown Day 5: From a Parent's Perspective

As a mother I often look at my little boys and wonder what's in store for them. What will they grow up to be? Will they be safe in this cruel world? Will they stay virtuous, humble, honest, respectful, and faithful despite the ever-increasing evil in this world?

These two videos view the life of the Saviour, Jesus Christ, from the eyes of Mary and Joseph. The first is "Mary, Did You Know?" sung by Clay Aiken, and the other is "I Was Not His Father" (one of the Forgotten Carols) written by Michael Mclean and sung by Leonard Fish.

I choke up every time I listen to these songs, particularly "Mary, Did You Know?".  It puts me, as a mother of sons myself, in the place of Mary, viewing His life and ministry through the eyes of a loving mother. The overwhelming task of raising the Son of God, the joy of watching him love, serve, and perform miracles, the torment of seeing him hated, despised, tortured, and crucified.

And interesting trivia tidbit: Michael Mclean, speaking of the 15th Anniversary Tour of "The Forgotten Carols", said that "I Was Not His Father" was the hardest song for him to get through. For that tour, the song was sung from a first person perspective (instead of "she" it was "I"), and he sung it as a duet with his son. I wish i had that version to share with you - you can see and hear the emotion as he sings, even though he'd sung it hundreds of times before.

Anyway, I hope these videos touch you as they have touched me. Happy Sunday!

Mary, Did you know


I Was Not His Father (He Was Mine)

0 comments:

Post a Comment