Pages

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Recipe Time - Bruschetta

Perhaps it's the baby in me (ie. pregnancy - hahaha!), but I love food! I mean, I've always loved food, but my love has grown! And since i've started blogging, I love blogging about food!! My apologies if my "recipe" posts seem obvious or redundant, but even blogging about the simplest foods makes me happy.

Bruschetta falls into the category of "Ridiculously Simple", although there are many varied, and some more complicated (and perhaps better) recipes out there. But for one such as me, who just LOVES bruschetta as a snack, this one is good enough! And I made some today, AND it's just one of my favorite snacks, so naturally i have to share.

I don't do exact measurements, since it's mostly by taste (and usually turns out okay in the end no matter what), but here's a close estimation...

5 medium, ripe tomatoes (I make a nice big bowl to make it last for a few days), Vine Tomatoes or Roma tomatoes are best.
2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
about 1/2 - 1 tsp. dried basil (or, if it's available to you, a tablespoon or two of fresh! We don't have it here...)
Salt and pepper

Cube tomatoes, add garlic, basil, and a dash of salt and pepper. Let it sit for a couple hours to let the flavors mingle.

I'm easy to please, and like things simple, so i just spread it on a piece of buttered toast. For something more authentic, try a baguette or some crisp italian toast. Most brushetta is topped with parmesan or mozzarella cheese (or both!) and then put back in the oven for a minute or two to melt it.


Oops, looks like i burned my toast a little.... oh, well. Still delicious!!
I have some friends who have Italian heritage - if you guys read this, how do you like your bruschetta? :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment