I've never browsed a sewing book before (i know! shock!), but since i'm all about sewing these days, i figured i would have fun looking through a Christmas one. And surprise, surprise, i managed to find a few MORE projects to try out!
I've been moaning that i need slippers this year (our kitchen floor gets ICE COLD in the winter!), and these look cute and super easy!
I'm not going to make this, but i thought it was SO darn cute!!
I also found a lot of things that reminded me of family, so i of course have to give them a try...
One of my memories of Christmas with my mom is all the APPLES! She had dozens of those little plastic apple ornaments. I thought these would be fun to try!
And though they don't necessarily scream Christmas to me...
Babushkas make me think of my sister, Susan, who has lots of them, and who loves Christmas as much as i do!!
I tried two of the projects today, and took a couple of hours to throw them together (the projects in here are SO easy!)
I started out making the ridiculously adorable stuffed bears (though the ones in the book look better than mine)...
The left bear's head isn't REALLY dented like that, it's just the angle... or one of the boys squished him... But the boys LOVE the bears!
yet another idea for giveaway gifts! I have TONS of brown fleece, and may even branch out with other fabrics. The bears in the book are made of regular cotton, and the faces are painted instead of sewn. That might be easier....
I also attempted some bird ornaments...
My first experiance sewing a stuffed something so small... yes, it's a bit lumpy. I'll be working on that. The green side looks better...
The birds make me think of my mother-in-law. I don't know if she's really into Christmas birds of all kinds - all i know is that she has about a hundred of them, so i assume she must be!
And if you're curious about the basketball shirts i mentioned in the last post, here's a progress photo...
And the finished...
(shhhh!! Don't tell Josh i made a big one for him! He doesn't read the blog!!)
The paint doesn't completely cover the blue shirts, but i actually kinda like that they look a bit weathered. I also didn't realize until i started painting that the fabric paint i bought was sparkly! It's cool, though... i like it!
After the kids were in bed, and while i waited for Josh to get home from school, i worked on the family stockings i'm making - and couldn't resist using some of the extra argyle fabric to make another bear - for ME this time!
We call him Nollaig (which is the Gaelic word for "Christmas"). I love him!













8 comments:
oooooh...you mentioned me in your blog! I'm SOOO excited! I'M FAMOUS! and...ahem....do i get a babushka for Christmas? i need it for my collection ;) you are so amazingly talented!!
you are so freaking talented!!! Are you sure we are related? I love the shirts and the ornaments!!
I love all the crafts and the basketball shirts are awesome!
You're amazing...though I already knew that one.
haha, thanks guys!! I just wish cleaning was this fun. my house has been neglected to make way for my projects... :(
I agree with everyone! those things are so cute and you did such a good job! one question though... how in the heck do you manage to get anything done with 2 boys?! i have a difficult time even cooking!
PS this is cassie doyle :)
Well, my boys nap for two hours in the middle of the day, and go to bed at 8pm, so i usually have time. Especially now that Josh is in school, and has homework, I'm usually left to my own devices during the "quiet hours".
Post a Comment