Pages

Friday, January 7, 2011

Thoughts on Blogging...

Sometimes i sit back and wonder why i blog about the things i do. I started this blog as a family connection, to share our lives and some photos with people who don't want the hassle of signing up for Facebook. I don't send around a ton of photos in e-mails, since i've always had trouble with it, and i just like this format better for some reason.

But somewhere along the line, it veered away from "family blog" to become "Emily's Plinko Board of Random Thoughts". I  have a friend who blogs, and she keeps her family blog and her tips-and-tricks blog separate from one another, which is a great idea! But like i'd mentioned earlier, there are family and friends who read my blog who don't really want to sign up for an account, so if i privatized it, they wouldn't be able to read it. But if i left the blog open, and created another public blog, then i would probably get a lot of unwanted readers on my family blog. It's a bit of a pickle.

I honestly don't mind if you share something you like with others, as long as you know and trust them. What i worry about is creepy strangers.

I don't know how many of our family and friends read this blog, or what most of them think about it. (Those of you who do comment once in a while, thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with me!) But I do know that SOME people read this blog, and whether you enjoy it or not, i truly appreciate your support (even my HUSBAND doesn't read the blog, so the fact that you're here means a lot to me!).

I share tips, tricks, crafts, recipes, reviews, etc. because i find it fun and easy to write about the things i love, and sharing what i love makes me happy. I've thought a lot about creating a public blog, where i could attract readers from all over, friends and strangers alike, but for people who actually read craft blogs none of what i post is new. In that respect, i feel like i don't have a lot to offer the blogging community.

So if you come here looking for family updates and cute pictures of my kids, don't worry, they're still here somewhere. While my husband and children are my greatest joy and blessing on this earth, I'm sad to say that they sometimes take a back burner here on the blog. It's not intentional, but as strange as it sounds, blogging has become "me time". I spend all day catering to other's needs, i like to sit down and focus on myself a little each day - whatever the medium may be.

Here's where i recognize one of my major flaws - i really DO need to focus more on my kids. So along with all my New Years goals, I will make more efforts to blog about my kids (which of course requires me to come up with creative things to do with them occasionally), and restrict my blogging to three times a week. With all that i should be doing now that i don't have the "9 months pregnant" excuse, i can't afford to be blogging every day like i have been, unless, of course, i get everything on my list done that day.

And because every post should have a photo:


They're trouble - you can tell! :)

And again, thanks for sticking with me! See you on Monday!

2 comments:

Kyle said...

Hey! Thanks for sharing those things with us, they're great! Oh, and I love the pic!! I miss those two. Hope all is going well with all of you!

Christina said...

It's a hard decision to make. Some of my family doesn't log in to my private blog now but my kids need their privacy and safety so too bad for those people!

Post a Comment