Pages

Saturday, January 1, 2011

2011 Reading List

Now that i have a nursing baby, I suddenly find myself in the posession of an excess of "down time". Instead of filling this time entirely with TV or internet surfing, I'm going to catch up on my reading. The only rule i've instituted is that i have to read books i've never read (or finished reading). I've compiled a partial list, with the help of my own shelves and the suggestions of friends, though i'll probably be adding more as the year goes on (depending on how long it takes me to get through them - the kids still keep me busy). Anyway, here they are, in no particular order:

Eldest - Christopher Paolini
The Spark - Chris Downie
The Five People You Meet in Heaven - Mitch Albom
Nineteen Eighty-Four - George Orwell
The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jesus the Christ - James E. Talmage
The Holy Temple - Boyd K. Packer
The Temple - Truman G. Madsen
The Mediation and Atonement - John Taylor

I'm trying to balance out the deeper stuff (docrinal, political, etc.) with some light, fun novels. I have to go through my shelves again i know there are a few there i haven't read yet.

Do you have any suggestions of books i should check out?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

read the little prince, its lovely!!!

Kyle said...

I've really enjoyed all the books by Mitch Albom. They're ones that I think you would really enjoy as well. There's also Tuesdays with Morrie, One more Day, and Have a Little Faith. Haven't read Tuesdays with Morrie or Have a Little Faith, but my bet is that they'll be great! They're shorter novels that have great meanings mixed in, I'd highly suggest them.

Christina said...

The 5 Love languages and Taking Charge of Your Fertility... reviews on both will be on my blog this month

Dionne said...

Hmmm, a bit lighter, eh? Here are three my book club really enjoyed this last year: "Still Alice" by Lisa Genova, "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" by Mary Ann Shriver and Annie Barrows and the Fablehaven series by Brandon Mull.

If you want something a bit heavier, I'd also recommend "Book of Negroes" by Lawrence Hill and "A Thousand Splendid Suns" by Khaled Hosseini. Both have more mature subject matter - slavery and conditions for women under the Taliban - but both are excellent reads.

Post a Comment